Makeup was used since ancient times by women, in order to make themselves more beautiful. The mascara to be more specific, dates back to ancient Egypt. The Egyptians were using bones as applicators, and the compound itself, was made of different oils and waxes. On the contrary, today’s mascaras have much more chemicals in them, and they are very weakly regulated by the FDA organizations.
If you don’t want to be exposed to these unknown chemical, or you have a sensitive skin that is prone to reactions when using makeup, you can try making your own makeup that uses only natural ingredients.
So here is a recipe for a DIY natural mascara. You will need:
2 tsp coconut oil
4 tsp aloe vera gel
1/2 – 1 tsp grated bees wax*
1 – 2 capsules of activated charcoal (for black) or cocoa powder (for brown)
a clean mascara container.
- You put the coconut oil, aloe vera gel and the bees wax into a pan on a low heat and stir until the wax melts.
2. You open the capsules of activated charcoal depending of the color that you want, and pour them in the pan and stir until it disolves well and then remove it from the heat.
3. In order to be able to pour this into the mascara bottle, pour the mixture into a plastic bag all the way into the corner of the bag. Then cut a very little hole on that corner of the bag with scissors.
4. Stick that corner of the bag into the mascara bottle (make sure it’s goes in far enough in, in order not to make a mess. You can also put napkin under the bottle just to be safe.)
5. Then press out the mixture into the empty mascara bottle close it up and you are done! You have your homemade mascara ready to go. 🙂
If you try this out, make sure to comment how’d it go, and if you liked it.