Taking care of a tree is very important for its growth and most of us can do it without any problem. Like watering a tree, fertilizing and mulching are not the big problem to deal with. When it comes to removing a tree then you should hire a tree removal service for this job.
Even for most of the tree trimming or turning services, you should look for a professional tree service. But if you need to remove the small branches of the tree then you can do it yourself if you have the proper equipment. For this, you must have proper tree trimming equipment and good knowledge as well.
If you are ready for tree trimming in Southfield MI yourself, then must read the following tips carefully before you start the trimming process.
Decide What Part to Trim
ٖFirst of all, you have to decide what part of the tree you need to trim? If you see that the crown of the tree is very big, you can do the crown thinning. In this technique, you have to trim those branches which are going away from the other branches of the tree.
You can also decide to do the crown raising in order to make a clear view down the tree, then you can cut down the branches which are at the lower level and blocking the view. But make sure not to trim too much from the bottom of the tree otherwise the tree stum will not grow strong.
Tips for DIY Trimming Tree Branches
Here are some important tips to trim the tree branches yourself safely without killing the tree or damage any property around it.
- Make sure that the tool that you will use to trim the branches is clean and sharp.
- Make sure that you are using the safety belts in case you are on the tree to cut down the branches from the upper part of the tree.
- Kids should not be around the tree during the trimming process. Also, make sure that there are no bikes or cars under the tree.
- For a thin branch that is less than 1 inch in diameter, you should cut the branch slightly away from the branch and tree connection that is called the branch collar. Cut it with an angle of 45 to 60 degree to the branch ridge.
- For a heavy branch, you need to cut it in 3 steps. First, cut it slightly (about 2 3rd) from the bottom and this cut should be about 2 to 3 feet away from the branch collar. This cut will help the branch to fall down away without splitting the branch.
- Now, move 2 or 3 inches away from the branch collar from the first cut and cut down the branch completely.
- Now you have a small part of the branch, cut it from the branch collar without any problem.
With these simple tips, you can easily trim your tree safely. But again, it is better to hire a professional and certified tree removing and tree trimming service near you.