So you are looking for how to make a DIY pillow cover that is easy to sew and looks beautiful. You won’t believe, when I started DIY cushion cover, it took me hours to sew a single piece. But the best thing I did was I kept on learning things and never gave up. Now, I have come to a stage where I can sew cushion cover with zip in less than 15 minutes.
You know a beautiful home is one of the greatest gifts from GOD. It’s up to an individual how he/she can make his/her living place more beautiful and comfortable. You can follow a lot of ideas and things to make your home more beautiful. Gardening, old furniture refinishing, kitchen organizing, and sewing pillow covers are some of the top ideas you can follow to spend your spare time. These kinds of hobbies will also improve the outlook of your home.
So today am sharing how to make simple pillowcases in less than 15 minutes.
DIY Pillow Cover Ideas
Take a look at the thing you will need to start:
- two pillow inserts 18×18 inches
- straight pins
- sewing machine
- zipper foot
- piping foot
- an iron
DIY Pillow Covers with Zipper
Take the fabric and select the side you want to see on the front. Cut the fabric according to the size of the cushion insert. For instance, if the size of the cushion is 18″ square, cut 19½” x 19½” square for the front side. Now you need this measurement on the fabric, so draw it on the fabric. Keep in mind the pattern should be in the center.
- For a straight line, pull the thread completely.
- On the side of the fabric, make a small cut.
- Now find the end of the thread you have pulled.
- When you completed this step, you will find a straight line. Use this line for cutting guidance.
- Now repeat the procedure with all four sides.
- Now cut the cushion front.
- Cut the fabric for the back piece. Keep in mind that it will be 1½” longer than the front piece because we need to install the zipper.
- Cut the fabric for the backside of the cushion by keeping in mind the thread pulling procedure.
- To install a zipper, measure the back piece 3″, from the bottom, and by pulling thread, cut the piece.
- Insert the zipper. Remember that the size of the zipper should be the same as the size of the cushion width.
- Now add the piping. The size of the piping should be 4 times longer than the width of the cushion. For example, if the cushion size is 18″, take a piping 4 times greater i.e 80″. The extra length of the piping would be used in joining.
- Now sew the front piece of the fabric and the back piece. See the images for a better idea.
Pillowcase Dress DIY
So now you can sew a DIY pillow cover easily. Still, if you want to ask anything, write it down in the comment section.